Saturday, February 9, 2013

Things

Sorry but I have zero pictures to share.

I also have very few things to say at the moment. Leaving Vietnam was bitter/sweet. I was so sad to say goodbye to the children, knowing I'll never see them again or hear updates on their lives. I hope things go great for them. I hope they stay happy and safe and loved. I hope they all grow up to find their lives fulfilling. And leaving the friends I've made was also tough. But I know I'll be back. And luckily we were able to exchange contact information so I know I'll see them again. Hopefully I'll find a few months to come back between tricking a med school to accept me and actually starting classes. I think Vietnam is going to be one of those places I find myself visiting time and time again. I want to learn more Vietnamese. Maybe we can retire there some day. Seriously, I love Vietnam so so much. I hope someday I can go back as a doctor and do something to give back to the community that did so much for me. Someday.

And now we are in Thailand. On Koh Samui to be specific. And it's just everything it should be. I have absolutely no pictures because I'm too scared to take my camera to the beach and we go to the beach every day, so there's that. Every morning we have the same conversation: beach first or pool first? Such a tough life, I know. The only downside is this place is crawling with tourists. I miss being in a remote village where there were maybe a couple other non-Vietnamese people around. I also miss getting an amazing meal for under $2. Food is pricey here. But still, I ate papaya salad and a big bowl of tom yum soup for under $5 today at lunch.

What else? I dunno. I can only think of really obnoxious things to talk about. Like the amazing weather and my sun tan and the crystal clear waters. Oh! I have a sun burn, so it's not all perfect. I have sunburns in weird places. Like my left knee cap and my right butt cheek. No clue how that happened. And there is sand worked so deeply into all my clothes, they are never coming clean. I'll probably have to throw it all away when I get home.

Ok, I promise to take some pictures tomorrow. Because you guys have to see this place! It is so unreal. This is my first tropical island experience, so maybe I'm just blowing it all out of proportion, but I feel like I'm living in some dream land. Everything looks like a scene from The Beach (including my handsome tanned husband).

Anyway, I'll be back in a couple days with pictures.

 

(PS Mom and Dad, I promise I am wearing sunscreen)

No comments:

Post a Comment